Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Querying in Queenstown and Wandering in Wanaka Downtown Queenstown with the Remarkables mountain range.
********************************
Hey,I will begin by explaining to you that because of the southern alps Queenstown is relatively isolated spot with a lake at one end of main street and a gondola at the other end it reminds me of Vale Co. It is the beginning of the ski season so the area is getting ready to great skiers from all over the world. I met with a realtor this morning who explained to me that Queenstown is unique to New Zealand because it has something to offer in each of the four seasons it has become an international city. Tiger Woods and Bill Clinton were just visiting...sounds a lot like what we are trying to leave. They are just now completing an international airport. The size of the village would probably be equal to all three down island towns but because of the surrounding alps there is a limited amount of land. In the last five years real estate has sky rocketed and people from all over the world are buying condos/apartments and seasonal homes for the same outrageous amount of money that the island real estate is going for. Along my journey I have heard comments from different New Zealanders who are snickering that just a few years ago they couldn't give the land away because the west side of the southern alps it is said they measure rainfall in feet not inches. This was disappointing to hear but I was happy Brett was up front with me. He suggest that if what I was looking for was more land I should look in the Southland and he quoted me some shockingly low prices but I am choosing to say no as everything I have read and everyone I have spoken to has warned me away as it is the wettest spot in NZ raining and gray constantly. Hearing the bad news about housing cost and not of the inclination to go bungy jumping today I decided to head out to Wanaka 1.5 hours north east and see if things were any different. On my way I met Bev from Aukland and Rodger they were very generous with info and again told me that there is a large need for plumbers most of NZ's young people head to Australia or else where for higher salaries but they all come back later in life so most of the trades people are imports from other countries who do not stay very long. Heating is close to nonexistent on the North Island and on the South Island they most often use heat pumps so they have AC in the summer as well. I could smell diesel in the air in Queenstown and Te Anu. Tomorrow I will be heading further north and then east. The next thing I need to find out is to get a good understanding of cost of living/quality of life which has been a little tricky because taxes/free health care/ food/ ect. What I have been trying to do is meet someone in the trades and talk to them about their lives but I have yet to find anyone. Well that won't happen here in front of the computer it is time for me to leave the warm cafe and brave out into the cold and continue to Wander in Wanaka.
************************************
The glacial Lake Wakatipu
Downtown although small is made up of a number of charming boutique shops. Lack of affordable housing for emplyees is a critical issue. The mountain ranges surrounding Queenstown makes commuting to or from town difficult.

New Zealanders love the thrill of unusual sports and Queenstown also known as the adrenalin capital is the original home of bungee jumping.

Queenstown with a population a little over 10,000 was originally settled in 1859 and not long after gold was discovered in the area.

Kawarau Gorge on the way to Wanaka and not far from Arrowtown where the main street (a handfull of buildings) has been preserved since the 1860's gold rush days. Folks still try panning for gold in the Shotover River.

Lake Wanka

Downtown Wanaka

Real Estate was much, much higher in cost in the "Lord of the Rings" territory than elsewhere around New Zealand. For details double click on these thumnail photos.

No comments: